nafex - [nafex] My plan to move a pawpaw root sucker

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] My plan to move a pawpaw root sucker
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 15:22:45 -0400

I have a very vigorous 1 foot high root sucker in my pawpaw bed. My plan is to wait until leaf drop, cut all lateral roots with a sharp shovel about 1 foot from the stem. Then after leaf drop in fall 2014, lift the root ball out, capturing as much tap root as I can manage and transplant it to its new location.

What do folks think of my plan? Does anyone have experience transplanting root suckers? I would love input as I do have to eliminate this plant in its current location, and I would like to use it.

Thanks,
Betsy Hilborn
7a NC Where all the fruit tastes watery because of our abundant rains