nafex - [nafex] Murph's sprayer

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Murph's sprayer
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:35:52 -0400

I use a Rears sprayer similar to Murphs in power. It has a 4HP Honda motor
and works amazingly well. Has only a 25 gallon stainless steel tank and it
rolls on its own bicycle wheels.

A few years ago it went for only $1,200 but Rears got taken up by another
company that doubled the price overnight.

My most significant discovery with this sprayer is that it doesn't lose
much power when pushing through 300' of hose, especially if you use the
right hand gun. I roll it on my truck, strap it down and hook it up to a
heavy manual reel and can easily spray acres of fruit trees. 25 gallons is
often enough material for 50 mature, free standing trees. Most sites I
manage only need half that or less as they are small estate orchards. It
also does the job on 30 ft + ancient, specimen apple trees which are a big
part of my business.

Refilling the tank is a bit of a hassle but at least I can customize mixes
for most every orchard. The commercial spray trucks with 8 HP motors need
to use a lot more spray to get coverage.

  • [nafex] Murph's sprayer, Alan Haigh, 06/22/2013