nafex - Re: [nafex] sweet cherry trees/ cold hardy types grown in milder sites

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] sweet cherry trees/ cold hardy types grown in milder sites
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 01:13:05 +0000 (UTC)

> the plants can tolerate a lot of water, I don't know about what the
> weather is like when the fruit is ripening.
>
> Martha Davis

The plant ROOTS can tolerate a lot of water, which may be true as I have
not tested that. I imported many Carmine Jewel and Crimson Passion in
about 2007.

>I don't know about what the
> weather is like when the fruit is ripening.

The Saskatchewan cherries tolerate much rain here in NW (east of Cascades)
where half of any random varieties of pie cherry trees suffer. The big
problem I have had is that they are unproductive here even though they
have a perfectly otherwise healthy flower. As I have heard it before there
are no problems about lack of production in other areas that are cold
enough to hold snow cover for a month or two. Strange why that is so but
it is that way with pie cherry (evans) which derived from Canada also. I
have seen only 3 cherries in about ten years from evans here. Ditto with
pin cherry. All the above are not issues due to lack of pollinators either.

I play around crossing cherry and plum here which is why I even waste my
time in the future to see if grafting a few to different rootstocks helps.

Sorry I can't comment much if the rain hurts fruit as they ripen.

Rupert.