nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting compound or materials used

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting compound or materials used
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 03:14:04 GMT

---------- Original Message ----------

<<<What material is used to seal the wood on a large graft when a
small scion is put on? (Cleft graft)>>>
Different things--on small ones I've tried parafilm(not recommended).
Grafting wax works well, but it's messy. There are paint on 'wound
dressings' for trees--my limited experience was not so good. Then there are
the hand-moldable compound that someone else wrote of--they sound
interesting. I think I've even heard of using plastic wrap but I've never
tried it.

<<If you are doing whip and tongue and cover the buds above do you
uncover them or will they make their own breaks always?>> If you are
wrapping them with parafilm they will break out (as Jerry's photos showed so
well). Anything firmer you may have to nick to let the bud out (sometimes I
nick the parafilm, if I have a weak scion).

<<<Knifes used -Left handed and right handed. I myself never knew of
this, might some one please explain them and how to sharpen them.>>>
A knife made for grafting had a blade which is beveled only on one side of
one edge. That way you can make a smooth cut when holding the flat (not
beveled) side against the stick of scionwood; if you use the knife holding
the beveled side against the wood, it will tend to curve into it instead of
cutting straight for that long straight cut that you want/need. Left handed
is beveled on one side, one for a right hander is on the other. Despite the
name, it depends on how you hold it; I'm a left hander perfectly happy with a
right-handed knife. When sharpening be sure to grind on the beveled side
only or you will defeat the design. I hope it makes some sense the way I
said it.
Muffy Barrett

NetZero now offers 4G mobile broadband. Sign up now.