nafex - [nafex] Growing Aronia from seed.

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Growing Aronia from seed.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:29:25 +0000

How to grow Aronia from seed.

The following is right from my notebook: (2011)

1. The berries were macerated by squeezing them by hand in a
bowl of cold water.
2. The seeds sink to the bottom, and they are very small.
3. The seeds were washed by shaking them in a jar with water for
1 minute.
4. On November 5, they went into the fridge in a jar with a DAMP
paper towel.
5. On February 26th, 112 days later they were planted in Miracle
Gro seed starter mix.
Indoors. 1/2" deep. At this time, there were no radicles
(sprouts).
6. On March 6, seedlings began to emerge, and continued to
emerge for about 10 days.
7. On March 28, the seedlings were 3 to 4" tall.
8. On May 6, I transplanted the seedlings outside. Zone 6 MA.
9. Every plant thrived vigorously.

These were some of the easiest plants I ever started.
You may use / distribute this info as you see fit.

Murph

  • [nafex] Growing Aronia from seed., Richard MURPHY, 01/21/2013