nafex - Re: [nafex] Pine-nuts

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pine-nuts
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:45:19 -0500

How hard the shells are depends on the variety. As far as shelling them,
either leave them in their shells until you need them, they'll keep a long
time that way; or shell then vacuum seal them. They spoil pretty quickly
otherwise. Freezing works, but they won't keep as long as vacuum sealed.
Remove the shells by covering them with a towel then press a rolling pin up
over them, then back down. You'll hear the crack if you're applying enough
pressure. Some shells will stick to the towel for easy cleanup. You can pick
out the nutmeats, though I suppose you might be able to winnow them; I
haven't tried.

~ Stephen