nafex - Re: [nafex] Flat stem question

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Flat stem question
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:51:44 -0800 (PST)

Pete's links gave some good information on this condition.  I've seen this on
occasion in black raspberry as well as many other plants over the years.  In
Rubus, it is not known or believed to have any connection to viral infection.
Usually it is caused by either some sort of growth regulator imbalance or
damage to the meristem.  'Waldo' trailing blackberry is one Rubus cultivar
that seems to have a genetic tendency to throw fasciated canes on an
intermittent but regular basis; however, even in this case, if you cut out
the canes the plant will usually produce normal canes the following year.

My experience with fasciated black raspberry canes is that they tend not to
perform as well as a normal cane in the second year.  While black raspberry
is prone to verticillium wilt causing loss of cane hardiness and poor
performance on surviving floricanes in the second year, my impression is that
the problems stem from some sort of vascular issue which may or may not be
related.  The laterals tend not to be as firmal attached and grow weakly,
though it is hard to eliminate verticillium as the cause of the poor
performance since I know it was in every field where I've seen this.  Where I
have seen this though, normal canes from the same plants did not have the
same performance problems and the plants continued to produce normal canes in
the seasons after the fasciated ones were removed.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com