nafex - Re: [nafex] PRUNUS MUNSONIANA; nafex Digest, Vol 118, Issue 25

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] PRUNUS MUNSONIANA; nafex Digest, Vol 118, Issue 25
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:11:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi Rupert,
Thank you VERY much. A couple things: Lon told me a bit about his Munson
plum years ago and offered to send me scion-material. At the time, I didn't
remember to ask for it because I thought I was going to get a selected
variety (Wild Goose) from another source -- something I failed to do, and
didn't know what variety Lon's was. However, wether or not I know the
variety or if I end up hopefully getting 'Wild Goose' cultivar of Munson's
plum, with the Ronbough Family's permission and your help, I would definitely
be interested in growing the tree that Lon had, especially for sentimental
reasons. So, I am definitely interested - thank you very much.
Another thing to mention: his wild stock of Pyrus betulifolia is very special
in that it's a particularly cold-hardy strain; he was, if I recall correctly,
planning on working with these - I hopefully can find my notes where I wrote
on what Lon was doing with it. Unfortunately, he never finished (went back
to) working on a book on persimmons that I said I'd like to contribute in
working on.
Thank you very much,
Steve
p.s. if anyone reading this has of any Prunus munsoniana varieties and can
spare a stick of scion wood, especially 'Wild Goose', please let me know.

Message: 14