nafex - Re: [nafex] Johnny Appleseed

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Johnny Appleseed
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 00:42:54 +0000

In reading Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire, Johnny Appleseed was
mentioned in the section on apples. Chapman (Appleseed) took a canoe-load of
seed and planted it at the confluence of rivers, where the water made for
natural landmarks and transportation. He then sold the parcels and died a
rich man. About a million apple seeds made for lots of cider, and the
occasional tree producing a good fruit. Smart man.

Dave Liezen