nafex - [nafex] off-topic: Hazelnuts

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] off-topic: Hazelnuts
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:58:30 -0400

Does anyone have experience with Badgersett hazel nuts? They aren't really
fruits, so it might be best to answer off-list. I am in eastern MA, zone 6,
and have a lot of granite ledge. I am wondering if they might be nice for the
shrubby border between my property and the next one over. I doubt they'd get
enough light to put out much of a crop, but I have an abundance of squirrels,
so even if they did, I wouldn't harvest many. If I got a nut from time to
time, it would be fun. I was thrilled with my harvest of 3 dozen apples this
year, from a mature tree that is usually stripped by squirrels before the
fruits ripen.

(I live 1/3 acre in suburbia, and have little kids nearby. Shooting squirrels
is not an option.)

thanks,
Ginda