nafex - Re: [nafex] keepsake thread ans sweet 16

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] keepsake thread ans sweet 16
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:10:20 +0000

Just had a successful cleft graft of Summer Rambo onto Gen30 this year (also
Sturmer Pippin, woohoo!) I hope to put them in permanent locations this fall
and see what develops. It will be some years, but I shall report to the list.

One question about your soil: any trace of calcium? My soil is deep basaltic
sand and the trace of calcium that goes into layer feed for my ducks finds
it's way to the ground. Liberty apple crop this year was outstanding in
quality. Just a thought...

BTW, thanks to the fella in Pulaski, Wis. who asked about experience with a
list of old European apples. That started a chain reaction and I hope to
graft Edelborsdorfer and Roter Eiserapfel onto Gen 30 next year. (You know
Germans hold these in high repute: 'Edel' is noble and 'Eiser' iron; the iron
apple keeps until June.)

Dave Liezen, E. WA z6