nafex - Re: [nafex] can anybody ID this apple?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] can anybody ID this apple?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:23:42 +0000

In reading the discussion of apple flavor, two questions arise:

Spicy flavor? I have read (but not yet tasted) these do: D'Arcy Spice
originating in the UK, Black Oxford from Maine, Colvis Spice from CA and
Lawyer from Montana. In time I will have D'Arcy producing in my yard, as I
bought a bench graft of it from Greenmantle last year. It requires a warmer
summer than can be found in much of the British Isles in order to develop the
spicy flavor. Most of the USA ought to be ideal.

Licorice/fennel flavor? Ellison's Orange comes first to mind; available from
several places, including Raintree. There are others, but I don't recall.

Dave Liezen Spokane, WA z6