nafex - [nafex] Sexing Actinidia Kolomikta

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Sexing Actinidia Kolomikta
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:47:28 -0500

This post is almost worth it just for the subject heading...

Seriously, telling the sex of the plants one has looks simple enough if they
are flowering.
There are a couple of great pictures of the male and female flowers at:

<http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=52063.0>

But if you have plants that have not yet flowered is there any way to tell
the difference?
On one youtube video I was watching, the fellow mentioned that his male plant
had
leaves which were very pointy at the tip of the leaf, and the female plant
had leaves which
were quite rounded at the tip. I looked over the deck at my two plants and
could see that
this was also true for my two plants.

Is this more than just a coincidence?

Dan

  • [nafex] Sexing Actinidia Kolomikta, Dan Nave, 09/08/2012