nafex - Re: [nafex] how to tell if apples are ripe?

  • From: Applesrgoodforu@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] how to tell if apples are ripe?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:28:25 -0400 (EDT)

Ginda. The seeds should be a dark brown. It is usually ripe in mid to late
September.

Dan Ester
Eugene, Oregon

In a message dated 8/26/2012 2:44:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
list@ginda.us writes:

I have a Jonathan apple tree with about 2 dozen large apples hanging from
it. This is a very unusual occurrence, as squirrels have removed all the
fruit by mid-August in every recent year.

How can I tell when to pick them? Probably I should pick some now, even if
they aren't fully ripe, just to get some apples. You never know what
critter will take an interest in the tree tomorrow, after all.

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6
message archives