nafex - Re: [nafex] Fruit trees' leaves dropped/dying - but green inside; cut just above graft-union?

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fruit trees' leaves dropped/dying - but green inside; cut just above graft-union?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:09:57 -0600

I wonder if this is similar to a problem that I have here in New Mexico consistently. The leaves start to turn brown at the edges and then die back toward the middle. Usually nearly all of the leaves are affected. We are having this problem with several trees this year. In the past I have assumed that the problem was limited to certain types of trees. However, this year it is affecting a young apple tree that never had this problem before.

Here is my approach. I don't know if it will work.

I have cut back completely dead segments of branches but I am not cutting the tree back as severely as recommended below because there are some partially functioning leaves scattered in upper branches. First, in our area the soil and the irrigation water are very alkaline, so I've tried applying a liquid acidifier and have seen some possible small improvement. Second, I am applying a foliar spray of fish emulsion with a bit of acidifier and am spraying the plant daily, after the sun has dropped. I spray any remaining leaves and I spray all of the stems.

My hope, and rationale, is to help the plant accumulate a little bit of stored energy so that it can form some good buds for next year. I am hypothesizing that the stems and trunks of young trees have some photosynthesizing ability or at least some ability to absorb some of the nutrients from the spray.

So far the process seems to have stopped any further loss of leaves, though only a handful of partially burnt out leaves remain. I do see some good buds that have a good green color. I'm hoping that when the weather cools (it's been in the upper 90s) the plant may recover a bit. We don't have hard frost until October.

This drying up of leaves is a brutal process and seems to have nothing to do with the amount of water. Around here I assumed it is related to the UV intensity but there could be other factors. On one of our young apples, there is not much left but some green leaf stems and I'm spraying those like crazy to feed them.

I was initially concerned about encouraging new growth that would be too green to harden off. Now, if I do get any new growth, I'll be thrilled.

By the way, my pawpaw, which was quite pale when I let it be exposed to direct sun, has greened up significantly with an application of liquid acidifier.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book (2013)
(505)-281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mt Time, 7 days