nafex - [nafex] Do not plant blackberries next to raspberries?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Do not plant blackberries next to raspberries?
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 00:24:14 -0400 (EDT)

As Ginda pointed out to me/all, it looks like you can mix members of the
Nightshade Family with raspberries - but if one should get a disease, sharing
the same soil, they will all get it.
How about interplanting blackberries with raspberries? A lot of sources say
not to do this.
1. When they say black berries, do they mean the blackberry hybrid complexes
(i.e. Navaho; Arapo; Kiowa) or do they mean the native American blackberry
(R. alleghaniensis) and/or black-cap raspberries (R. occidentalis), or all
the above?
2. What if they are 10' apart, so that the root-systems do not meet? Is it
just spores? Right now, I made sure they are 75' apart, except I planted the
blackberry hybrid complexes with raspberries - maybe I should move them?

Or is this not a real issue? Maybe the raspberries are going to get diseases
IF they are going to get it, and it will really not have much to do with one
of the above being nearby?
Thanks,
Steve; NJ