nafex - Re: [nafex] Thornless Black raspberry

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Thornless Black raspberry
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 08:29:34 -0700 (PDT)

There are no thornless black raspberries that are currently available in
North America.  All of the old cultivars have been lost.  There is a new
cultivar in New Zealand that is thornless, however most of us working with
black raspberry consider it to be more of a purple as its thornlessness was
derived from crossing with red raspberry and despite several generations of
backcrossing the fruit still retains a purplish color.

There is currently work on breeding thornless black raspberries.  In addition
to incorporating thornlessness from red raspberry, we found a few sources of
wild plants that grow thorns only at the base of the canes (~8 inches at the
bottom) and occaisionally on the petioles in the collection that we assembled
a few years ago.  There were some selections made from those and crosses as
well as the first round of crosses, but it will be several years before any
new varieties are named and released from this material.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com