nafex - Re: [nafex] How do I root pomegranate cuttings?

  • From: "Bob Kelly" <bkelly66@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] How do I root pomegranate cuttings?
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:45:11 -0500

LOL, Lucky. I will second that poms are easy to root. I stuck a bunch of hardwood cuttings late last fall in the shade of a nearby camellia bush and it appears most of them have rooted.

Bob Kelly
Aberdeen MS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:34 AM

Steve,
I've found poms very easy to root from dormant-collected cuttings. I just
'wound' the base, by shaving off a little bark to expose cambium on one
side(may or may not be necessary), dip in rooting hormone powder, and stick
in a pot of soilless potting mix, or a 50/50 mix of sand and peat - whatever
I've got handy. Water as needed.
Never needed a 'humidity chamber' of any sort.
I rooted some mid-summer cuttings 45 years or so ago - can't recall what I
did back then, but I imagine that I just dipped in Rootone and stuck them in
the sand/peat mix my dad had in his big azalea/camellia propagation bed in
the shade of the two big cherrybark oaks in the back yard. Summer humidity
levels in south Alabama were probably a pretty constant 150%, so no need for
a humidity chamber!

Lucky