nafex - Re: [nafex] CAR apple

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] CAR apple
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 18:19:47 -0500

On 5/7/2012 4:09 PM, Lee Reich wrote:
CAR spores travel far so removing cedar trees is of limited use. Quoting from
my NEW book, Grow Fruit Naturally,

"Cedar-apple rust disease produces orange spots on leaves and fruits. Because
cedar-apple rust needs both cedar and apple trees to complete its life cycle, the
disease is especially prevalent in humid regions where wild cedars (Juniperus spp.)
abound, such as much of the eastern United States and Canada. Susceptible cedars, wild
and cultivated, include Juniperus chinensis, J.pinchotii, J. silicicola, J. utahensis,
and many varieties of J. communis, J. virginiana, and J. scopulorum. Disease spores
travel for miles in the air, so removal of cedar trees may not be a practical means of
disease control. Instead, prune for good air circulation and plant resistant varieties
such as ‘McIntosh’ and ‘Liberty’, or else spray. Copper or sulfur fungicides give
reasonable controls and Surround offers suppression, but all must be applied early, as
leaf buds are opening and before you see any infections. Infections occur only early in
the season, and there is no further spread of new infections from old infections."

With my apple variety descriptions, I also list a number of other varieties
that are CAR resistant.

Lee

Lee Reich, PhD

I have to disagree with Lee. In my own experience, I had two White Cedars (Juniper Family) just a few feet from
my apple trees and this caused a big CAR problem. After removing these Cedars, the problem went away. I live
in the midst of a heavy urban community, so Junipers must be present somewhere. I think the benefit of
removing nearby Junipers will vary, depending on the proximity of the next closest trees. It is possible that
even a close by neighbor's trees would not be a problem, as my next door neighbor has one. His being South
of me may be a factor as most of our winds come out of the North or Northwest.

Sherwin Dubren