nafex - [nafex] temperature variation

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] temperature variation
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 11:20:01 -0700

Please excuse if this came twice-I sent it out and it came back into my junk
mail box-sending again.

I have several cheap thermometers which I placed out in various parts of the
garden to record the differences. They have to be compared then marked
because I have found up to 3 degrees difference in the thermometers-- I
check them around 10:00 pm and again just before dawn-- then about 2 hours
after dawn. This has given me a cheap way to figure out the microclimates in
my garden.

What I have also found very useful is to use plants as guides. I have
nasturtiums growing in various places and when one patch freezes and the
other does not, I can get a good idea of the temperature differentials. I
have also used the purple aeoniums as a guide. Other plants would have to be
used to find 28 degrees, 25 degrees, 10 degrees, etc.

Idell Weydemeyer

Zone 9

  • [nafex] temperature variation, Idell Weydemeyer, 04/14/2012