nafex - [nafex] chernaya lisovenko

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] chernaya lisovenko
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 11:54:46 -0500

the description of these currants does match my experience. I should say that I have only a couple years experience with these currants. They are upright and compact. I have them at 3' spacing and that seems good, though could probably go down to 2' if one were constrained with space. I eat them out of hand but certainly there are those that would think I was nuts. I do think their taste ranks up there, at least as good if not better than Titania (of course, that's completely subjective). Their major distinction, as far as I have experienced, is their extreme precociousness, fruiting for me (quite surprisingly) very heavily in their 2nd year, and thus far, their immunity to disease. I have several other varieties that seem to be at least somewhat susceptible to anthracnose/leaf spot at my site, if not very susceptible, but these have shown no signs of the disease or any effect whatsoever with many new canes every year. They can be a little tricky to pick, as there are usually fully ripe currants and completely green currants on the same, tight cluster, making picking in the first couple weeks of production very time consuming. If I were to delay picking until more of them come ripe, I'd lose a decent amount dropping of the plants, so selective picking seems necessary.

They also make a great dry wine with champagne yeast.

Now to search for the gooseberry that is resistant to leaf spot. . . . pixwell is horrible in that regard. I'm currently trialing colossal, invicta, and black velvet, and soon to be planted hinomaki red.

Anton Ptak
zone 4a W. Wisc