nafex - Re: [nafex] Compatable pears???

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Compatable pears???
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:46:04 -0400

I agree that the result is surprising. Not what I would have expected.

On 3/26/2012 10:26 PM, Jim Fruth wrote:
A friend has a wild pear (pyrus spp.) that bears inedible fruit. To
help him out, I grafted scionwood from my pears onto his wild pear. His
tree accepted all of my grafts. Several of those grafts were from my Ure
Pear. When I saw the abundance of edible fruit on his tree, I grafted his
wild pear scionwood onto my Ure but the Ure rejected all grafts. That is
curious: How can scions be accepted onto a tree whose scions are rejected
by the other? I guess that is one of the mysteries of Nature.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472