nafex - Re: [nafex] What are early-ripening temperate fruit crops (minor and major) that ripen before July in zones 5-7?

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] What are early-ripening temperate fruit crops (minor and major) that ripen before July in zones 5-7?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:25:08 -0500

Hi Steven,

I would add Nanking cherries to the list of early fruiters. They are
delicious and prolific.

The difference between zones 5 and 7 will make a big difference in what you
can grow, but you may be able to push the zone limit in zone 7 with loquats
and hardy citrus, particularly if you have a protected spot. Citrus fruits
in winter and many varieties are hardy down to 10-12 degrees, some, some
down to 0 or the negatives. McKenzie Farms, here in South Carolina, has a
great hardy citrus catalog: http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm. Loquats
fruit in mid- to late spring. On the south Atlantic coast, we eat them
sometimes as early as March, but more often April-June. They are hardy
down to 10 - 15 degrees, but I'm not sure how they would react to colder
weather.

Chris Carnevale
Charleston, SC