nafex - Re: [nafex] Fruiting plants that can do well with mid-summer shade in Minnesota

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fruiting plants that can do well with mid-summer shade in Minnesota
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 02:21:11 GMT

Dan,I suspect that hardy (A. kolomicta) kiwi would work. The problem that I
have consistantly with the kiwis is that they break dormancy too early, and
then frost damages the buds. Growing under a tree might slow down bud break
enough to let them grow--anyway, the next ones I plant are going to be
shaded, to see if they do any better. You could possibly do alpine
strawberries as a ground cover around the vines. Theyseem not to need quite
as much sun as the standard ones. Muffy BarrettSouthern Wisconsin