nafex - [nafex] SW Virginia - effect of elevation on effective USDA growing zone

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • Subject: [nafex] SW Virginia - effect of elevation on effective USDA growing zone
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:00:51 -0500

Hi folks,

I am looking at property to establish an orchard in SW Virginia. I am up on the plateau of the blue ridge area where elevations range from 2200 - >3000 feet. The area is categorized as zone 7a, however, I wonder about the effect of altitude on the zones. Can I treat a 3000 foot local high still as zone 7a? Or what about 2200 feet down at the creek where cold air settles?

Of course, my primary question is- can I grow D. kaki successfully in the orchard ; - )

Any input is appreciated.

Betsy Hilborn