nafex - Re: [nafex] Creating Standard Apple Tree

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Creating Standard Apple Tree
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:55:02 -0400

Claude, Are you saying you cut the main trunk off at 6 ft, remove any
branches below this
level, and graft your scion into the top of the cut-off trunk? (I have
worked over seedling
apple trees by cutting off half the scaffold branches, as well as the central
trunk, then
plugging my grafts into the ends of the cut-off branches and central trunk,
but leaving the
other half of the original scaffolds until the following year to nourish the
tree for that year.
(Then I top-work these remaining scaffolds over to the new variety).)