nafex - [nafex] Recommendation for hardy-kiwi (female and male) - Actinidia spp.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Recommendation for hardy-kiwi (female and male) - Actinidia spp.
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:32:09 -0500 (EST)

I'm looking for a best recommendation for a female hardy-kiwi.

1. I suppose, of the hardy species, it would be Actinidia arguta - and not
any of the other varieties, or hybrids with A. arguta. I wonder if there are
some significant taste differences between the hybrids and/with A. arguta. I
think that for someone with limited growing space, one should probably stick
with the common A. arguta - if in zone 6.

2. Of the typical hardy kiwi species (A. arguta), I know that a lot of people
like the very productive, commercially popular 'Anna' cultivar, but I think
that it's been said that this variety has now been surpassed. I've heard
good reviews of 'Ken's Red' and 'Dumbarton Oaks'.

3. I see that a lot of the nurseries offer a nameless A. arguta male for a
pollinator; is it far better to go with a named selection of male, such as
'Meader - male' and '74/46'.

4. Would it be a practical endeavor to grow a chain of A. arguta hardy kiwi
varieties on a single, contiguous succession: in a single vine-branch running
the entire length of a fence. I could prune all but the one chain of
cultivars: one variety per 9 feet. Bad (impractical) idea?

Thank you,
Steve; Zone 6b/7a - NJ