nafex - [nafex] E. Pungens Edibility

  • From: alexis@conev.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] E. Pungens Edibility
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:16:44 -0500

My experience with E. Pungens is from my sister's patch in GA. She has dozens of plants. The fruit is quite edible, tasty, similar to other illeagnus in that it can be astringent, but looses that astringency when fully ripe. The weakness of Pungens (apart from invansiveness) is that they set fruit sparsely, perhaps unreliably (?) as you go further north. It seems like my sister's bushes are fairly reliable, but she is zone 8B, very warm. My experience with E. Pungens is that the flavor is similar to autumn olive or goumi, but perhaps a bit less tart when fully ripe. Autumn olives are especially heavy fruiters (and VERY invasive), goumis set pretty heavily as well. I have never seen Pungens set as heavily as other illeagnus, but I do not have a lot of experience with it either.
Alexis