nafex - [nafex] Silverberry

  • From: alexis@conev.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Silverberry
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:19:49 -0500

Does anyone grow silverberry in zone 6 or 7?
I am wondering how reliably they fruit, and when? My sister has some in GA (zone 8), and they fruit in the middle of winter. No joke. Not a huge amount of berries, but in the middle of winter, very welcome. I just found some with nearly ripe berries here (central VA, zone 7), sure to be ripe in March, but I am wondering if that is a fluke of this mild winter or normal behavior for this plant.
Silverberry is an illeagnus, same family as autumn olive, goumi, and seaberry. If they do get ripe this early, that would beat "honeyberries" by a long shot.
Thanks,
Alexis