nafex - Re: [nafex] European plums & black-knot (cv. President vs Imperial Epineuse/D'Agen)

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] European plums & black-knot (cv. President vs Imperial Epineuse/D'Agen)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:08:04 -0500

If you are regularly in your orchard I would not be so concerned about black
knot. Make sure the trees are in full sun and don't let them get too dense
anywhere, and then cut out any knots you see. Pay particular attention in
winter pruning for knots, they are more visible then and you can reset the
system by getting rid of nearly all of it in the winter. I have yet to lose
a plum to black knot and I have about 30 plum trees in a similar climate.

Scott z7 MD