nafex - [nafex] European plums - 'Imperial Epineuse' and 'D'ente/707'

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] European plums - 'Imperial Epineuse' and 'D'ente/707'
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:19:32 -0500 (EST)

I am getting 'Kenmore ('NY-9')' European plum: blue plum; dual-purpose plum:
fresh-eating and cooking; self-fertile; highly disease-resistant, incl.
black-knot resistant.

For a second European plum, I'm looking for a purple-fruited variety. I live
in the northeast (New Jersey).

Initially, I was considering the black-knot resistant purple-fruited variety
'President'. However, I'd really like to grow either 'Imperial Epineuse'
(Cf: Lee Reich and our late friend, Lon) or 'Prune d'Agen' [which is 'Prune
d'Ente'/707] (was Lon's favorite). I don't remember all that Lon told me
about these varieties when we last spoke a few weeks ago, but now I'm
interested since I'm starting to question the need for two (instead of one)
highly disease-resistant trees. As long as 'Kenmore' is stable, I can take a
risk with the second. Lee and Bob Purvis both pointed-out to me that
black-knot can be managed should or when it appears, so maybe instead of a
very black-knot resistant purple-fruited plum like 'President' which will be
of comparatively inferior fruiting quality, I'd like to go with either 'Prune
d'Agen' (d'Ente) or 'Imperial Epineuse' (just received scion-wood today).

1. Will either or both of these varieties be ruined with disease in New
Jersey?
2. Which of the two above are best? I think Lon favored D'Agen/D'Ente over
the larger-fruited, yet said similar 'Imperial Epineuse'; I forgot which of
these he said was a reliable cropper for his conditions.

Thanks,

Steve

  • [nafex] European plums - 'Imperial Epineuse' and 'D'ente/707', Steven Covacci, 02/10/2012