nafex - Re: [nafex] Angle of the Sun at Different Latitudes

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Angle of the Sun at Different Latitudes
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:48:43 GMT

Dan,In case you haven't gotten enough answers already (that NOAA link was
great. Thanks to whoever put it up), we live at almost latitude 44 in WI,
and oriented our house for solar gain. So the walls are either E-W or N-S.
At mid-summer, the sun shines in-just barely-the north windows at sunup and
sundown, but at mid-day it's pretty close to if not quite directly overhead.
It isn't coming in the south windows, at any rate; that only happens in the
other half of the year (when we want it to). If you are wondering whether
something planted to the north of your house will get enough sun, my guess is
possibly not because we are already losing a lot of sun angle by August and
in these short seasons most fruit plants need all the light they can get
while they are growing. Hope this helps.Muffy Barrett
south-central WIWhere at least we finally have a little snow.