nafex - Re: [nafex] Honeyberry/Haskap discussion thread (permaculture forum at permies)

  • From: Bob Bors <bob.bors@usask.ca>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Honeyberry/Haskap discussion thread (permaculture forum at permies)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:42:00 -0600

I wonder if the comment about expect 7kg per plant of Pure Russian varieties
is a word of mouth change of what I told growers a few years ago?
We once had 7Kg on one plant of one variety (Tomichka also called Blue
Belle) but the year before and year after was about 4kg on that same bush.
The plant was 7 years old.
Japanese growers say that good plants produce about 3kg. That was a group of
the leading growers at a meeting in Hokkaido who told me that. A few Russian
papers that I have read show a great deal of variability between varieties
but some of those papers are judging young plants at 3 years old. When I
got 7kg on that bush I thought it was a record The estimate of Tundra at
4kg is based on a guess of being a bit above average because the berry size
was about 50% larger and the plants looks to have as many fruits as its
father, Tomichka, had at a young age. But the mother is perhaps 10% shorter
than Tomichka.
I think a major factor on variable yield is having rain during bloom. A
plant that fruits so early should have enough time to recover and have
another full crop. We stopped tracking the yields of those 1st plants
because the waxwings were religiously devouring that original row and seemed
oblivious to the acre of berries in a nearby field. We didn't want to cover
them forcing the waxwings to look elsewhere.

Haskap seeds are most similar to tomatoes. Like tomatoes they have a
slippery goo around them that you don't notice when eating. They are flat
like tomatoes but are half to 1/3rd the size.

Dr. Bob Bors
Head of the Fruit Breeding Program
Dept. of Plant Sciences
University of Saskatchewan