nafex - [nafex ibiblio list] "a tribute to Dancy tangerines" (fwd from 1994 archives)

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: [nafex ibiblio list] "a tribute to Dancy tangerines" (fwd from 1994 archives)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:20:00 -0500

<>

On the night of the winter solstice, I approach the venerable old tree,
living shrine of the sacred genes. With snippers in hand I begin
harvesting the fruit. With each little snip, the cool breeze from the
lake becomes more and more perfumed with thymol and limonene, an olfactory flashback to holidays past and future. The tangerines are at their peak, nearly explosive with aromatics; just handling them is enough to release a little peel oil, compounding the orgy of promising aromas, harbingers of gustatory gratification.

Gently I carry them into the house. Holding one up to the light,
I savor the characteristics of this cultivar, the variety that I value
above all others. The indescribable but unmistakable color, somewhere
between red and orange, more tantalizing than the glint of gold.
I offer obeisance to these noble oblate orboids, and break one open
as an oblation. The rind is thin and tight but easy to peel, and soon
the interior glory is revealed: the articulated segments, the hollow axis, the mysterious bits of stringy "rag." Two segments at once, gotta have it, I bite down and the juice sprays onto my eagerly waiting tongue and palate. Ah, the complex completeness of it all: the ketones and flavones, the ascorbic and citric acid, the sugars, and the unique overtone of tangeretin -- a chemical orchestra playing the finest sensory symphony.

Lord, curse the citrus breeders who create varieties that are hard enough to roll down conveyor belts and be dropped into boxes, varieties that look good but taste like sugared cellulose, cultivars that can be waxed and sit on a store shelf for three weeks and still look attractive enough to trick someone into buying them. Lord, bless the soul of Colonel Dancy, patron saint of the mandarin clan, bless him for the acuity of his eyes and taste buds. Amen.

-- Rick Harrison (hrick@world.std.com)

<>

<fwd from 1994 archives) "a tribute to Dancy tangerines"
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/fruit/dancy.tangerines.tribute
Article 122 of sci.agriculture: