nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Looking South

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: fruitopia@firstva.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Looking South
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:45:31 -0500

David, I agree on the fuzzy kiwis, they have also been one of the most
positive surprises for me in Maryland. I have yet to lose a crop due to
freeze or have any winter dieback on them, and they are highly prolific and
tasty. I have had good luck getting Saanichton to harvest in time; I harvest
them in mid-November and put them in the fridge until February, at which
point they are delicious. Elmwood I have heard likes a somewhat longer
season; mine died and I didn't replace it. Several other fuzzy varieties I
had required too long of a season, so it is important to get varieties with
short seasons. Exbury and Blake are two other varieties with supposedly
shorter seasons but they have not fruited for me yet.

I am also thinking of re-planting some muscadines. They generally did OK for
me but every few years I got significant dieback on some varieties. I expect
there are a few varieties more hardy which would do fine. I pulled them
because they were in too shady a spot and were never going to fruit.

Scott z7 MD