nafex - [NAFEX] American Persimmon seed coats [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: "ADAMSON, Karl" <Karl.Adamson@apvma.gov.au>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] American Persimmon seed coats [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 00:58:12 +0000

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Jerry,
In the bag, germination for me is emergence of the root. Anywhere from just
the tip to about an inch.
As you have indicated, there do seem to be two kinds of tap root. One
'normal' type and a second type that emerges then forms what appears to be a
root collar and from this emerges several root buds. I planted them all at
this stage. It could be disease is killing the root tip or maybe it's a
fibrous root variation. Usually if there is an infection I'd notice and I
can't see one.

Disappointing to hear that they may not like this treatment, I do my
pistachio rootstocks this way and get great success as they are very prone to
disease at germination. Anyway, time will tell.

Jerry Wrote:
>Now I'm confused. You write they germinated but now you want to soften
>the seed coats. What is your definition of germination? Did you get
>root tips showing or did they develop short black roots? If root
>developed you don't need the seed coats to split, as your previous e/m asked
>about.

>Also my luck with planting seeds after they developed roots in the
>storage bag has been miserably poor. Those tender roots don't like exposure
>to air.

IMPORTANT: This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you are not the addressee you may not copy, use or rely on the contents of
this email or any attachment. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
transmission.