nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How tall do these 3 get: Asian persimmon; Japanese Raisin-tree; & Che (Cudrania)?

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How tall do these 3 get: Asian persimmon; Japanese Raisin-tree; & Che (Cudrania)?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:59:19 -0800

Dear Steven,

There is chapter on Japanese raisin tree in Fruitipedia at the link, http://fruitipedia.com/japanese_raisin.htm and also chapter on kaki persimmon at the link, http://fruitipedia.com/Persimmon.htm.

I have not seen trees of Asian persimmon growing taller than 20 ft in India. We use D. lotus as rootstock.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India
01905-222810; 094181-81323
www.fruitipedia.com

-----Original Message----- From: Steven Covacci
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:51 PM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

Group:
In a life-time, how tall do the following 3 fruit trees get, if intentionally unmanaged - in the north east:
1. Asian persimmon (Japanese Kaki persimmon) - Diospyros kaki?
2. Japanese Raisin-tree - Hovenia dulcis?
3. Chinese che (Che-berry; Mellon-berry; Storehousebush) - Cudrania tricuspidata?

For Kaki persimmon, I suspect 25 - 35'
For Raisin-tree (based upon champion trees) I suspect 60'
For Chinese che I suspect 35 - 40'

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a