nafex - [NAFEX] Yates persimmon photos

  • From: William McNam <billmcnam@yahoo.com>
  • To: "filtertitle@aol.com" <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Yates persimmon photos
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:14:41 -0800 (PST)

I have often heard that the Yates fruit has dark specs (precipitated tannin?)
embedded in the flesh.
For example ,here is a comment from Jerry Lehman:
"Juhl (Yates) is among the earliest. It is large & sweet. I highly recommend
it.
Only problem is the flesh is loaded with precipitated tannins (black
material) and isn't pleasant to look at. Looks dirty!!! Otherwise a great
early persimmon. It is the seed parent of H-118 which has much less black
material."

I hadn't noticed this before.
Upon closer observation one very hot year, I did notice some insignificant
brown specs in the flesh.
But they were not conspicuous ,and did not affect the taste.

These close-ups of cut fruit from the 2011 season show no dark "inclusions"
(brown specs) in the flesh of Yates fruit
This has been a cooler-than-usual summer ,with heat unit accumulations below
normal.
 This year  is the latest this fruit has ever ripened for me.

I have formulated a hypothesis: the brown specs occur more in years of  "high
heat unit accumulations" and in regions with hotter summers than mine.
Perhaps the grape growers on list can confirm a similar phenomenon with wine
grapes:
Is there a correlation between hot summers and high tannin concentrations in
grapes?

Of course there could be other cultural explanations.

 P.S.I got my graftwood of Yates directly from Ed Yates.

FROM  Jwlehman@aol.com
TO:nafex@lis
Friday, November 11, 2011 5:20:03 PM

In a message dated 11/11/2011 2:12:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
filtertitle@aol.com writes:

> .I find that, and I'm no longer sure, when it changes from yellow to
> brown-yellow, and caramelizes (which many fruits drop or rot before that
> time),
> the fiber in Yates/Juhl start to become like a grainy (pasty) persimmon
> sauce. Not just pasty, but filled with dissolving crystals of sugar or,
> likely, fiber.

Well Steve, I never made that observation. That could be with very past
ripe fruit. Don't think I have ever eaten one that far along after ripening.

Jerry