nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs and fruit/nut trees

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: orders@cuttsreviews.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs and fruit/nut trees
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:11:35 -0600

I've planted a lot of nitrogen fixers under the eventual canopy of
fruit & nut trees & I find it really complicates harvesting. My
neighbor, Mark Shepard, who runs New Forest Farm has a novel way of
doing it. He plants caragana arborescence in the same planting hole
as the fruit tree so they grow up together. Caragana is pretty easy
to shape with pruning & doesn't sucker so it works well for him tho
I'd be concerned about air circulation in the middle of the trees.
His fruit is for hard cider so he's less concerned about how the fruit
looks.

~mIEKAL