nafex - [NAFEX] Re: potting up pawpaws

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: potting up pawpaws
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 18:35:07 -0500

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 07:20:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Jwlehman@aol.com
Subject: [NAFEX] potting up pawpaws

In a message dated 11/5/2011 2:19:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, kodama@riseup.net writes:

I recently received some grafted Paw-Paw's in the mail and was hoping they'd be large enough to transplant straight to a sunny spot in the field, but they're not ready for prime time yet. So I'm looking for suggestions regarding potting up paw paws to grow out until large enough to set into a permanent location. I understand paw paws are difficult to transplant, and I've already failed once before in potting up paw-paws and having them live, though that was more due to my neglect than anything with the transplant.

Hello Evan,

You didn't say if they arrived bare root or potted. Size? Grafted or seedling? Where are you located, midwest or Arizona?

Generally I agree with another writer, plant them now where you want them permanently. Be sure to mulch heavily if in an area where temps drop lower than 20 F this winter. Do not expose the roots to a hard freeze either in pots or in the ground. Generally they don't need shading after the first year from seed. But if they are bear root 1 year seedlings, providing shade the first year such as with a tree tube would be a good safety measure.

I agree with Jerry, and would like to add that if you plant them in the ground now, put a cage around them. I don't think rabbits like to eat paw paw branches, but they don't know that until they take a bite. For a small grafted plant, that one bite can be the whole scion. For a non grafted seedling, not as big a deal, but it will set them back a little.

Alex