nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The Idaho Heritage Tree Project helps preserve rare apples

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The Idaho Heritage Tree Project helps preserve rare apples
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:31:16 -0700

No, I don't know them since I live on the West Coast and the various
heirloom apple projects are different in each area. One of the nurseries
near me
http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1 does a
good job making sure at least some of the older apples still exist (155
kinds). There are various efforts to save interesting local fruit and oil
trees- avocados, etc.

-- I assume there are some groups in various regions of Canada, in the
center of the US --and I think Oregon has a project----and I know there are
some in the south.

The Fedo project looks good-- as does the John Buncker's work. I am glad
folks are out there working to save this critical fruit (and hopefully a
goodly number are working hard to save the central Asian forest
mother-of-all apples too).

I will send your information back to the person interested in the Maine
apples. Thank you.

Idell