nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black soot near prunings

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black soot near prunings
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:30:44 -0400

For the first time, this year I have a similar problem.

I have had multiple pruning wound infections (black discoloration and no callus, dependent (proximal) to pruning cuts) this year - apple, pear and kiwi! I don't know if it is the same thing as you describe. I sent kiwi tissue samples to the plant pathologist. They were able to grow out fusarium (as I recall) but labelled it a probable saprophyte and probably not the cause of the initial lesion.

Betsy Hilborn