nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rhubarb seed

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rhubarb seed
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:23:30 -0500

I grew Glaskins Perpetual & Champagne from seed this year. Got almost
100% germination from GP & after one summer there is very little
difference between plants other than some plants are growing more
vigorously. With Champagne I got maybe 20% germination and the plants
are growing much slower, I'm gonna hold them until next spring to
plant.

A pack of seed is at most $3, & most of the roots I bought, even in
quantities of 50 were at least $5/per root. & compared to growing some
things from seed rhubarb is pretty easy. In the future tho I want to
get my seeds started earlier, maybe in early March, so by early June I
have pretty substantial plants to put into the ground.

~mIEKAL