nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:45:29 -0700

Marshall's biggest weakness was susceptibility to red stele disease of the
roots. I had Marshall growing up and it was a perfect blend of aromatic
flavor, intense sweetness and sooth juiciness. I've tasted many varieties
including a lot of the GRIN collection, and while there are decent ones out
there, I've yet to find an equal to a well grown Marshall. The best
Marshalls came from a field in the hills above Silverton, OR grown where they
were the first crop after a forest had been cleared. You could smell them
before you reached the patch and eating them made your head ache from the
sweetness.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner GWA "Best Talent in Writing" 2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low
resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower :