nafex - [NAFEX] graft success notes

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] graft success notes
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:32:08 +0000

1-- These notes refer to late spring grafting onto rootstocks in nursery rows.

This year I had more failed grafts and overall less growth than in recent
years passed. The only reason I can figure is that the rootstocks, all in
nursery rows last year, didn't get much fertilizer. Also, altho last summer
had adequate rains, the autumn was droughty, and I probably didn't irrigate
enough. I don't fertilize much anyway, so I bet the key issue was the
drought autumn.

The other ingredient was a longer than usual winter. I try to work with
hardier rootstocks, but I have to wonder if '10/'11 wasn't a little too much
winter.

Some better than expected growth was on a poorly timed (I thought) batch of
grafts. We had some temperatures above 90 degrees soon after some grafting,
enought that I didn't see how the callus tissue & further mending could
happen. But that batch grew as well or better than the others.

2-- A couple general notes about rootstocks.

In the past there has been some discussion about whether to cut off all
below-graft growth, or to leave branches on to feed the roots until the
topwork is doing that job. After following the latter philosophy for too
long, my current 2-cents is for the prior. The only advantage I can see to
leaving below-graft growth is to compare a cultivar's compatability with
different rootstocks: there will tend to be more below-graft growth on the
less compatible, assuming all else equal.

I'm seeing poor growth in EMLA7-rooted trees when set into a landscape. They
do better under proper orchard management, than in a yard setting where weeds
or lawn compete with the EMLA7 roots.

Tanis Cuff
s.WI, z4-5
light soils