nafex - [NAFEX] Email Thread vs. Forum: Fragmentation of group+

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Email Thread vs. Forum: Fragmentation of group+
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:02:08 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

Although there are benefits (as discussed) to a forum, the benefit of an
email thread (as some have stated and I very much agree with) is that
EVERYONE ends up glancing at ALL topics, those they are interested in and are
not interested (initially) in.

If the topics were posted in a forum, instead of a mail thread, obviously
less responses to each of our topics of interest will result, we will not
end-up being introduced to or participating in peripheral topics that are
out-side of our individual interests, and the group will be fragmented into
micro communities: the stone fruits people; the persimmon/paw paw/and or tree
nuts people; the warmer climate vs temperate people; etc.

I've gotten to know more people this way that I would not have otherwise
likely ended up corresponding with, as a result of the thread solution.

One benefit though is, if I'm not mistaken, it would be easier to search for
old topics of interest and old topics will be, continually, re-visited where
the entire progression of responses and input will be contained.

I'm ok with either, but if I had to pick one, I'd say keep the group
completely contiguous and remain as a thread community.

Thanks,
Steve - NJ (6b/7a)

  • [NAFEX] Email Thread vs. Forum: Fragmentation of group+, Steven Covacci, 08/10/2011