nafex - [NAFEX] Multiple figs in the same hole - good idea?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Multiple figs in the same hole - good idea?
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 01:52:22 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

I was considering putting a few varieties of figs in the same hole: 4 to 6
varieties). I suspect that they would all fuse (inosculate) into a single
shrub-tree of various varieties, wherein the more vigorous varieties will
eventually do better then the others, unless pruned to avoid this; and if in
zone 6, eventually all of them will die to the ground and balance among the
varieties will for a while begin anew.

IF this is a good idea, this may be a great way to determine different
degrees of cold-resistance among cultivars since, in this case, all cultivars
will be in approximately the same conditions, uniformly.

I'm looking forward to what everyone who responds to this one will say.

Steve; NJ 6b/7a

4 months to go until American persimmons.... just saying.. haha.

  • [NAFEX] Multiple figs in the same hole - good idea?, Steven Covacci, 07/08/2011