nafex - [NAFEX] amelanchier alnifolia from root cuttings

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] amelanchier alnifolia from root cuttings
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 01:47:03 +0000

I have done this successfully; about 50% take or better.
To start Saskatoons from root cuttings, put 2 " of damp peat moss in a
plastic box.
Then, place 2" pieces of roots, pencil diameter or slightly less, on top of
the peat moss.
Finally, add another inch of damp peat moss on top of the roots and pack the
whole mess down semi-firm.
Cover the box with plastic wrap and keep it at room temp; out of the direct
sun.
In a few weeks the cuttings will sprout and send down a few roots!
Transfer them to 3" pots of potting soil.
I think fall cuttings would be the best; beefier roots.
Also, they might last a few weeks in the fridge before you put them in peat
moss.
I've never seen suckers up right after the snow melts.

R A Murphy Jr

  • [NAFEX] amelanchier alnifolia from root cuttings, Richard MURPHY, 07/07/2011