nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Flemish Beauty/Parker

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: John Bunker <john.p.bunker@gmail.com>
  • Cc: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Flemish Beauty/Parker
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:04:26 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the useful information John. Pear scab does not seem to have
been so bad here (apple scab is sometimes severe) but perhaps that is
because the fruiting pears I have are resistant. How bad is it on Parker/FB
for you in Maine? My Parker trees (I have two about 15 years in the ground)
have been growing well if slowly; they are partially shaded and this is the
first year they have set a substantial amount of fruit. I would go out and
check for scab now except it is raining -- this could easily be a test year
with all the rain! Is it mainly a problem with the fruit or did/do you get
twig and leaf problems as well? Two Flemish Beauty trees died while quite
young (and Bosc, Clapps ..).

In fact you have got me thinking -- since most of the pears that have died
on me seem to be listed as scab susceptible! Is there a reasonably
definitive list somewhere? Does it get worse after fruiting (sorry for all
the questions)? I am supposing that the ussuriensis crosses that form the
mainstay of production for me (Golden Spice, Luscious, Summer Crisp, Ure)
are at least moderately resistant to scab. Now I have some more interesting
trees fruiting (Bella de Guigno, Ayers, Concorde, Doyenne de Juliet) I
guess I better check a bit more carefully and maybe lower my expectations.

Richard
VT 4a/3b