nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wood chips

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wood chips
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:37:08 -0500

Jerry

You might also want to look at the Soil Biology Primer at
http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/concepts/soil_biology/biology.html
On the left hand side of the page, it details in what most people think is a very easy to understand way, what happens in the soil as wood chips and other carbon matter is decomposed by organisms and the mycorrhizae develop to feed nutrients to the plant roots . Illustrated chapter by chapter.

The problem with wood chips on bare soil is that fungi that decompose them will remove nitrogen from the soil. What works best is not chips but shreds that have been composted about 6 months. See the product descriptions for native mulch at http://www.natureswayresources.com/products.htm

Assuming you don't have this, in nature, in the woods say, the equivalent of wood chips--twigs and branches and logs fall on top of a layer of already mainly decomposed leaf mold material. To the extent you can put rotten organic matter below the chips, you will do much better. Without that you need to compensate with organic nitrogen since the chemical form disrupts the decomposition process and no nitrogen will hurt your trees.

Bob Randall

"Share What You Grow and What You Know!"

Bob Randall, Ph.D.
YearRoundGardening@comcast.net
http://yearroundgardening.wordpress.com/
713-661-9737